Date:   Sun, 21 Jan 2018 17:50:39 +1100
From:   Eric Anholt <eric@...olt.net>
To:     Michel Dänzer <michel@...nzer.net>,
        christian.koenig@....com, Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
Cc:     linux-mm@...ck.org, dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, amd-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Per file OOM badness

Michel Dänzer <michel@...nzer.net> writes:

> On 2018-01-19 11:02 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:

>>> Good point, when I initially looked at that problem DRI3 wasn't widely
>>> used yet.

>>> That is unfortunately only partially true. When you have a single
>>> runaway application which tries to allocate everything it would indeed
>>> work as you described.
>>>
>>> But when I tested this a few years ago with X based desktop the
>>> applications which actually used most of the memory where Firefox and
>>> Thunderbird. Unfortunately they never got accounted for that.
>>>
>>> Now, on my current Wayland based desktop it actually doesn't look much
>>> better. Taking a look at radeon_gem_info/amdgpu_gem_info the majority of
>>> all memory was allocated either by gnome-shell or Xwayland.
>>
>> My guess would be this is due to pixmaps, which allow X clients to cause
>> the X server to allocate essentially unlimited amounts of memory. It's a
>> separate issue, which would require a different solution than what we're
>> discussing in this thread. Maybe something that would allow the X server
>> to tell the kernel that some of the memory it allocates is for the
>> client process.
>
> Of course, such a mechanism could probably be abused to incorrectly
> blame other processes for one's own memory consumption...
>

> I'm not sure if the pixmap issue can be solved for the OOM killer. It's
> an X design issue which is fixed with Wayland. So it's probably better
> to ignore it for this discussion.
>
> Also, I really think the issue with DRM buffers being shared between
> processes isn't significant for the OOM killer compared to DRM buffers
> only used in the same process that allocates them. So I suggest focusing
> on the latter.

Agreed.  The 95% case is non-shared buffers, so just don't account for
them and we'll have a solution good enough that we probably never need
to handle the shared case.  On the DRM side, removing buffers from the
accounting once they get shared would be easy.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (833 bytes)