Date:   Thu, 15 Feb 2018 10:53:21 +0100
From:   Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
To:     Ondrej Zary <linux@...nbow-software.org>
Cc:     whiteheadm@....org, David Laight <David.Laight@...lab.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Alan Cox <gnomes@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
        David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
        Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>,
        Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Jiri Kosina <jikos@...nel.org>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
        Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
        Jamie Iles <jamie@...ieiles.com>,
        Eduardo Valentin <eduval@...zon.com>,
        Laura Abbott <labbott@...hat.com>,
        Rik van Riel <riel@...riel.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
Subject: What was last kernel that booted on hardware XY? database was Re:
 [BUG] x86 : i486 reporting to be vulnerable to
 Meltdown/Spectre_V1/Spectre_V2A

Hi!

> > > You might think this absolutely crazy, but I would be willing to test
> > > such systems if I can get my hands on the needed hardware that I lack.
> > > I am already doing sanity testing on Intel
> > > i486/i586/i586-MMX/i686-PentiumPro systems, I just don't have the
> > > clone cpus (Cyrix, etc).
> > >
> > > While few people are using the 32bit kernel, I don't think we want to
> > > kill it completely just yet.
> >
> > I have a working Cyrix MII (was actively using it last year, now upgraded to a
> > P3-based Celeron). Some AMD CPUs too - K6(maybe -2 or -3?), not sure about K5
> > and also a Rise mP6. But never got a WinChip.
>
> I'm using Core Duo daily (backup machine, web browsing), and use
> Pentium M as an ssh client say once in month.

BTW... I'd really like to have a database of machine, kernel version,
cpuinfo, config... So that questions like "what is the latest kernel
that is known to be running on this hardware" and "what config should
I start from".

For example, I have nokia N810 here. It was supported by Linux at some
point, but then we moved to dts, and stuff changed, and I can no
longer figure how to boot it.

I guess "what was last kernel that worked on Cyrix MII" is also
relevant question.

Is there such database? If not, would people be interested in
contributing if I create one?

									Pavel

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (182 bytes)