Date:   Tue, 13 Mar 2018 15:00:11 -0700
From:   Jann Horn <jannh@...gle.com>
To:     Nagarathnam Muthusamy <nagarathnam.muthusamy@...cle.com>
Cc:     kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>,
        Konstantin Khlebnikov <khlebnikov@...dex-team.ru>,
        Nagarajan.Muthukrishnan@...cle.com,
        Prakash Sangappa <prakash.sangappa@...cle.com>,
        Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
        Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>,
        Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...ntu.com>,
        "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
        Eugene Syromiatnikov <esyr@...hat.com>, xemul@...allels.com
Subject: Re: [RESEND RFC] translate_pid API

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Nagarathnam Muthusamy
<nagarathnam.muthusamy@...cle.com> wrote:

> On 03/13/2018 02:28 PM, Jann Horn wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Nagarathnam Muthusamy
>> <nagarathnam.muthusamy@...cle.com> wrote:

>>> We have a monitor process which keeps track of the aliveness of
>>> important processes. When a process dies, monitor makes a note of
>>> it and hence detects if pid is reused.
>>
>> How do you do that in a race-free manner?
>

> AFAIK, the monitor runs periodically to check the aliveness of the processes
> and this period is too short for pids to recycle. I will get back with more
> information
> on this if any other mechanisms are in place.

>>> I am trying to simulate the same access restrictions allowed
>>> on a process's /proc/<pid>/ns/pid file. If the translator has
>>> access to /proc/<pid>/ns/pid file of both source and destination
>>> namespaces, shouldn't it be allowed to translate the pid between
>>> them?
>>
>> But the translator doesn't actually need to have access to those
>> procfs files, right?
>
> I thought it should have access to those procfs files to satisfy the
> visibility constraint that targeted PID namespaces should be visible
> in caller's PID namespace and ptrace_may_access checks that
> constraint.

If there are two containers that use the same UID range,
ptrace_may_access() checks from a process in one container on a
process in another container can pass. Normally, you just can't even
reach the ptrace_may_access() checks because you can't reference
processes in another container in any way.

By the way, a related concern: The use of global identifiers will
probably also negatively affect Checkpoint/Restore In Userspace?