Date:   Mon, 14 May 2018 17:26:00 -0700
From:   Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
To:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     Rob Herring <robh@...nel.org>,
        "open list:GPIO SUBSYSTEM" <linux-gpio@...r.kernel.org>,
        devicetree@...r.kernel.org, Jeffy Chen <jeffy.chen@...k-chips.com>,
        Enric Balletbo i Serra <enric.balletbo@...labora.com>,
        Joseph Lo <josephl@...dia.com>,
        Doug Berger <opendmb@...il.com>,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...ysocki.net>
Subject: Re: Lack of suspend/resume/shutdown ordering between GPIO providers
 and consumers

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 04:46:41PM -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 04/25/2018 11:14 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> >> I'm going to make of_platform_populate randomize the order it creates devices...

> >> That's what device connections are for. It probably just needs the
> >> GPIO core to create the links. (but I've not looked into it at all).
> >
> > Not all APIs accept device as parameter to easily create links. But I
> > wonder, for cases like this, if we could not simply move the device to
> > the end of the dpm list after successful binding it to a driver. The
> > assumption that when GOPIs or other resources are not ready they'll
> > return -EPROBE_DEFER and probing would fail.
>
> Dmitry, do you see any reason why we are enabling the gpio_keys.c button
> interrupts for wake-up during suspend/resume only, and not right from
> the probe() function?
>
> button->wakeup is effectively read-only past the probe function, if we
> moved the logic to enable/disable the interrupts that would greatly
> simplify things. I am assuming whomever added that functionality must
> have been worried about spurious wake-up events somehow and wanted to do
> it as late as possible?

Florian, device_may_wakeup() is not constant (it may be changed via
sysfs), and when the driver was written we did not have
dev_pm_set_wake_irq() that can be used in probe() and handles wakeup
flag changing, so we had to arm wake IRQs in suspend. And even now, with
support of different interrupt triggers for normal operation and wakeup
action, we need to reprogram interrupts in suspend.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry