Date:   Wed, 6 Jun 2018 11:52:02 +0200
From:   Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>
To:     Christian König <christian.koenig@....com>
Cc:     amd-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org,
        Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: radeon 0000:1d:00.0: GPU lockup (current fence id
 0x00000000010da43f last fence id 0x00000000010da52d on ring 0)

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 10:26:15AM +0200, Christian König wrote:
> Well what did you do to trigger the lockup? Looks like an application send
> something to the hardware to crash the GFX block.

So what I observed was (in that order): machine was building a kernel so
was busy, X didn't respond for a couple of seconds (which it should not
do) and I switched to tty8 to see what dmesg says (I am routing dmesg to
tty8).

At that moment it showed the lockup splat and then X restarted showing
me the login prompt again. I'm guessing the X restart was caused by the
GPU reset.

So if I had to guess, maybe pressing Ctrl+Alt+F8 caused the modeset
change and thus reset? Hmm, this is just me guessing with my
non-knowledge about graphics. :)

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

Good mailing practices for 400: avoid top-posting and trim the reply.