Date:   Sat, 09 Jun 2018 09:40:27 +0200
From:   Dirk Gouders <dirk@...ders.net>
To:     Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>
Cc:     Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@...ionext.com>,
        Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>,
        Segher Boessenkool <segher@...nel.crashing.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC v4 0/1] i-search functionality for mconf

Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org> writes:

> Hi Dirk.
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 08:46:05PM +0200, Dirk Gouders wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> this version is a prototype of the idea, Sam suggested -- I hope I
>> undestood it correctly.
>>
>> This is a remarkable change to mconf in it's behavior; mainly it now
>> differentiates two focuses and operates differently, depending on the
>> focus.  When the focus is on the menu, mconf is in i-search mode, for
>> a detailed description see 1/1.
>>
>> As stated earlier, this is just a prototype, documentation is missing
>> and the code is not ready for a real commit.
>
> When trying this out it started to work as envisioned.
> But somehw I manage to get stuck in the menus and cannot navigate to
> the buttons.
>
> Consider to remove the old short-cut for the menus.
> (Most/all the first_alph thingy in menubox.c)
> That will avoid two confliting navigations principles and likely
> make the code simpler to read.
>
> I am not sure, but maybe you can get rid of all the hotkey
> support in print_item with this change too.

Hi Sam,

thank you (and also to Randy) for having a look at it.

Next, I will prepare a patch, more thorougly tested,
documentation included and with hotkey support removed.

You are right, trying to support two navigation principles makes
everything too complex and I was too eager to keep as much of today's
functionality as possible.

Dirk