Date:   Tue, 07 Aug 2018 19:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:   Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@...ive.com>
To:     Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>, robh+dt@...nel.org
CC:     Paul Walmsley <paul.walmsley@...ive.com>, tglx@...utronix.de,
        jason@...edaemon.net, marc.zyngier@....com, mark.rutland@....com,
        anup@...infault.org, atish.patra@....com,
        devicetree@...r.kernel.org, aou@...s.berkeley.edu,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-riscv@...ts.infradead.org,
        shorne@...il.com
Subject:     Re: simplified RISC-V interrupt and clocksource handling v3

On Sat, 04 Aug 2018 01:23:11 PDT (-0700), Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> This series tries adds support for interrupt handling and timers
> for the RISC-V architecture.
>
> The basic per-hart interrupt handling implemented by the scause
> and sie CSRs is extremely simple and implemented directly in
> arch/riscv/kernel/irq.c.  In addition there is a irqchip driver
> for the PLIC external interrupt controller, which is called through
> the set_handle_irq API, and a clocksource driver that gets its
> timer interrupt directly from the low-level interrupt handling.
>
> Compared to previous iterations this version does not try to use an
> irqchip driver for the low-level interrupt handling.  This saves
> a couple indirect calls and an additional read of the scause CSR
> in the hot path, makes the code much simpler and last but not least
> avoid the dependency on a device tree for a mandatory architectural
> feature.
>
> A git tree is available here (contains a few more patches before
> the ones in this series)
>
>     git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/riscv.git riscv-irq-simple.3
>
> Gitweb:
>
>     http://git.infradead.org/users/hch/riscv.git/shortlog/refs/heads/riscv-irq-simple.3
>
> Changes since v2:
>  - actually use SEIE instead of STIE in the plic driver
>  - rename the default compat string for the plic to sifive,u5-plic
>  - various spelling fixes
>  - drop a superflous derefence in the plic driver that is taken care of
>    by the following loop
>  - drop the patch to document the enable method - not relevant for the
>    rest of the series
>  - drop the patches for the per-hart timebase frequency - not relevant
>    for the rest of the series.
>  - use riscv_of_processor_hart in the timer driver
>
> Changes since v1:
>  - rename the plic driver to irq-sifive-plic
>  - switch to a default compatible of sifive,plic0 (still supporting the
>    riscv,plic0 name for compatibility)
>  - add a reference for the SiFive PLIC register layout
>  - fix plic_toggle addressing for large numbers of hwirqs
>  - remove the call to ack_bad_irq
>  - use a raw spinlock for plic_toggle_lock
>  - use the irq_desc cpumask in the plic enable/disable methods
>  - add back OF contexid parsing in the plic driver
>  - don't allow COMPILE_TEST builds of the clocksource driver, as it
>    depends on <asm/sbi.h>
>  - default the clocksource driver to y
>  - clean up naming in the clocksource driver
>  - remove the MINDELTA and MAXDELTA #defines
>  - various DT binding fixes

Thanks!  Modulo the one device tree issue I replied to in patch 3 this looks
great!  We've already gotten the ACKs to take this through the RISC-V tree, so
I'm going to put this along with the queued RISC-V patches on our for-next
branch, including my proposed change for "sifive,plic-1.0" but leaving the
device tree bindings with #{address,size}-cells=1.

We can always change this, but I'd like to get this out so people can start
playing with it earlier rather than later.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!