Date:   Wed, 31 Jul 2019 23:25:51 +0200
From:   "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>
To:     Keith Busch <kbusch@...nel.org>
Cc:     Mario Limonciello <Mario.Limonciello@...l.com>,
Subject: Re: [Regression] Commit "nvme/pci: Use host managed power state for

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 11:33 PM Keith Busch <kbusch@...nel.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 09:05:22PM +0000, Mario.Limonciello@...l.com wrote:

A couple of remarks if you will.

First, we don't know which case is the majority at this point.  For
now, there is one example of each, but it may very well turn out that
the SK Hynix BC501 above needs to be quirked.

Second, the reference here really is 5.2, so if there are any systems
that are not better off with 5.3-rc than they were with 5.2, well, we
have not made progress.  However, if there are systems that are worse
off with 5.3, that's bad.  In the face of the latest findings the only
way to avoid that is to be backwards compatible with 5.2 and that's
where my patch is going.  That cannot be achieved by quirking all
cases that are reported as "bad", because there still may be
unreported ones.