Date:	Fri, 1 Dec 2006 13:35:24 -0500
From:	"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...il.com>
To:	"Stephen Hemminger" <shemminger@...l.org>
Cc:	"David Kimdon" <david.kimdon@...icescape.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, madwifi-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	"Nick Kossifidis" <mickflemm@...il.com>,
	"Michael Buesch" <mb@...sch.de>
Subject: Re: [Madwifi-devel] ar5k and Atheros AR5005G

On 11/29/06, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...l.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:03:28 -0800
> David Kimdon <david.kimdon@...icescape.com> wrote:

> > > Last time we talked about that stuff, it was decided that
> > > we don't want a HAL... See archives.
> >
> > To be clear, that is all part of the hal issue that needs to be
> > resolved.  Removing the hal abstraction is not difficult for an
> > interested party once source for the hal is available.  The next step
> > in such an effort would be to add an open hal to dadwifi, IMO.
> >

> Isn't it obvious. Planning from goal through intermediate steps gives:
>
> 0 - today (raw materials)
>         * softmac stack: d80211
>         * open hal: ar5k
>         * glue layer: dadwifi
>
> 1- put pieces together
>         * d80211 + dadwifi + ar5k

The problem actually is that ar5k port to Linux Nick wrote currently
only works with an older version of madwifi (svn 1142) which itself
needs some patching and that dadwifi is based on the latest and
greatest madwifi source base. So a d80211 + dadwifi + ar5k will only
work if Nick's ar5k port is extended to support the latest
madwifi/dadwifi. I haven't had time yet to determine the exact
requirements on Nick's ported openhal to work with dadwifi but that
should be our focus for now in parallel with completing dadwifi.

For those curious the attached patch fixes madwifi 1142 release for
use with kernels >= 2.6.18-rc1. Add Nick's ar5k port to linux and
you'll have a Free driver ready. Since I see the mb's openhal git
repos is down here is a link for it as I checked it out on 2006-08-03:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/openhal-2006-08-03.tar.gz

(give it sometime to sync)

To make things easier for development I'd like to suggest a few madwif
ibranches created:

* madwifi-1152-openhal: based on madwifi-1152, patched with my patch,
added openhal, old hal removed. Working free solution. Should exist
just as a reference and to allow users to checkout a working free
alternative in the mean time.

* madwifi-dadwifi-openal: based on the latest dadwifi with the
openhal, old hal removed. As dadwifi gets updated you can pull updates
to this branch. As the openhal advances you can make updates to the
openhal here.

Once we get dadwifi+openhal branch working I believe it should become
the trunk of madwifi.

Lastly, if anyone needs access to atheros hardware for development of
this driver or the openhal please let me know and you will get access
to a lot of nodes for development.

  Luis

View attachment "madwifi-1142-fixed-2.6.18-rc1.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (1735 bytes)