Date:	Mon, 04 Dec 2006 08:09:02 -0500
From:	jamal <hadi@...erus.ca>
To:	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>
Cc:	davem@...emloft.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC][GENETLINK] introduce command names

On Mon, 2006-04-12 at 10:28 +0100, Thomas Graf wrote:
> * jamal <hadi@...erus.ca> 2006-12-02 07:11
> > [GENETLINK] introduce command names
> >
> > Introduce optional command names.
> > While command names can be put in user space by the author of the
> > command, this alleviates things for the discovery process without
> > requiring any user space code written.
> > In a recent tutorial that i gave, the desire for this feature was
> > the highest.
>
> I assume you're planning to export this to userspace at some point?

Right.

> What's the real advantage besides that when listing avaiable
> operations we can output names instead of numbers?

Just makes the discovery more knowledgeable.
Theres a hidden meaning in that i would like if possible to create
as much of user space as possible without the user having a single line
written. Heres how i output the discovered families at the moment
without the patch.

-----
hadi@...sol:~/git-trees/iproute2/nov22/genl$ ./genl ctrl ls
Added Family  Name: nlctrl
        ID: 0x10  Version: 0x1  header size: 0  max attribs: 6
        commands supported:
                #1:  ID-0x3  flags-0x0
                        Capabilities:  has policy; can doit; can dumpit

Added Family  Name: TASKSTATS
        ID: 0x11  Version: 0x1  header size: 0  max attribs: 4
        commands supported:
                #1:  ID-0x1  flags-0x0
                        Capabilities:  has policy; can doit;

hadi@...sol:~/git-trees/iproute2/nov22/genl$
-----------

It would be a lot more human friendly to put better readability in the
commands.

> Userspace should
> be aware of operation numbers when using it. I'm all for this if
> the direction is to move towards having some form of scriptable
> genetlink tool which can be used to communicate with simple genetlink
> families.

That is the real agenda actually. To be honest i dont know how realistic
it would be. But one of the next things is to output the command
policies.

> I guess the desire was the highest because you sold it as such :-)

Theres some truth to that ;-> But i didnt start it;->, after two people
asking why they couldnt tell the command name, it connected to me i also
need it for this other reason.

cheers,
jamal