Date:	Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:46:35 -0500
From:	Robert Martin <robertm83@...il.com>
To:	Robert Martin <robertm83@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	bcm43xx-dev@...ts.berlios.de
Subject: Re: NETDEV-BCM43XX BUG - Failure to associate AP with latest devscape
 git pull..

Paul Collins wrote:
> (Please use reply-to-all to keep Cc:s intact, and place new material
> below quoted material.)
>
> Robert Martin <robertm83@...il.com> writes:
>

>> Paul Collins wrote:

>>> I guess the speed problem is due to the general state of BCM4318
>>> support, as mentioned by the developers.
>>>
>>> I'm glad the frequency thing isn't some weird glitch that only I am
>>> experiencing though.
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure that I'm using a 4311 chip... lspci -n gives...
>>
>> 03:00.0 0280: 14e4:4311 (rev 01)
>>
>> ...I might have been mistaken about it being a PCI-E chip in that
>> case.  One additional question, it seems the link quality is very low;
>> "iwconfig wlan0" tells me it's 3/100 after associating with my AP.
>> Could that be the power issue that Johannes Berg was speaking of?  I'm
>> curious as to what speeds you're running at, and what your link
>> quality is.
>>

> My card (a 4306) seems to be running at 11Mbps.  No idea how to change
> it: iwconfig doesn't report the current rate (I had to go digging in
> sysfs) and trying to change it with iwconfig fails with "Operation not
> supported".
>
> Here's the signal info:
>
>         Link Quality=228/100  Signal level=-32 dBm  Noise level=-70 dBm
>
> The machine is about 3 metres from the AP.

A quick test just incase the information is somehow helpful... I moved
to within two meters of my AP with nothing blocking the way--the link
quality jumped up to 46/100 (vs 3/100 5m away and a wall blocking),
though there was no increase in speed (still limited to ~120 kilobits/s).

Before:  Link Quality=3/100  Signal level=-73 dBm  Noise level=-66 dBm

After: Link Quality=46/100  Signal level=-49 dBm  Noise level=-69 dBm