Date:	Thu, 07 Dec 2006 08:22:34 -0500
From:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
To:	Ivo van Doorn <ivdoorn@...il.com>
Cc:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	John Linville <linville@...driver.com>,
	Jiri Benc <jbenc@...e.cz>,
	Lennart Poettering <lennart@...ttering.net>,
	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>,
	Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...inger.net>
Subject: Re: [RFC] rfkill - Add support for input key to control wireless
	radio

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 22:41 +0100, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Well there are 3 possible hardware key approaches:
> > >
> > >  1 - Hardware key that controls the hardware radio, and does not report anything to userspace
> >
> > Can't do anything here so just ignore it.
>
> Ok.
>
> > >  2 - Hardware key that does not control the hardware radio and does not report anything to userspace
> >
> > Kind of uninteresting button ;)
>
> And this is the button that rfkill was originally designed for.
> Laptops with integrated WiFi cards from Ralink have a hardware button that don't send anything to
> userspace (unless the ACPI event is read) and does not directly control the radio itself.

My take: if there is a button on your keyboard or laptop labeled "Kill
my radio now", it _NEEDS_ to be somehow communicated to userspace what
happened when the user just pressed it a second ago.  Personally, I
don't particularly care how that happens, and I don't particularly care
what the driver does.  But if the driver, or the hardware, decides that
the button press means turning off the transmitter on whatever device
that button is for, a tool like NetworkManager needs to know this
somehow.  Ideally, this would be a HAL event, and HAL would get it from
somewhere.

The current situation with NM is unacceptable, and I can't do anything
about it because there is no standard interface for determining whether
the wireless card was disabled/enabled via rfkill.  I simply refuse to
code solutions to every vendor's rfkill mechanism (for ipw, reading
iwpriv or sysfs, for example).  I don't care how HAL gets the event, but
when HAL gets the event, it needs to broadcast it and NM needs to tear
down the connection and release the device.

That means (a) an event gets sent to userspace in some way that HAL can
read it, and (b) the event is clearly associated with specific piece[s]
of hardware on your system.  If HAL can't easily figure out what device
the event is for, then the event is also useless to both HAL and
NetworkManager and whatever else might use it.

Again, I don't care how that happens, but I like the fact that there's
renewed interest in getting this fixed.

Dan