Date:	Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:40:58 +0100
From:	Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@...ei.de>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: wake on LAN with sky2

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 14:58:18 -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:27:20 +0100
> Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@...ei.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I just tried the sk98lin driver version 8.41.2.3 and was happy that it
> > seems to support wake on LAN with the Marvell 88E8053 PCIe chip.
> > However, after resume from suspend to RAM, the machine hangs. As it
> > doesn't hang with sky2, it looks like this particular driver breaks
> > suspend to RAM. ($%&?#!!!)
>

> > A quick look into sk98lin_suspend() shows that there is not much stuff
> > in there. Am I right that I just have to port that stuff to sky2? The
> > affected file skge.c is licenced under the GPL v2 or later.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tino
> > -
>

> I was working on Wol for sky2, and got part way, but discovered that on my
> test machine there were worse problems. The current code in the power management
> resume runs the ACPI finish routine after the device resume. The ACPI finish
> routine calls the BIOS, the BIOS then breaks MSI support.
>
> The fix for that will be to reorder the PM resume code, but doing it right
> means making the process thaw code SMP safe....  There are some patches
> slowly working through the PM tree to fix this..
>
> Anyway, this is as far as I got.

Thanks for the patch. I just tried it with 2.6.19. The link LED on the
switch is active after suspend, but no wakeup after sending the WOL
packets, neigher with p nor with g setting in ethtool. After the
resume, the interface is silent, I have to reload sky2.ko to get it
working again.

Regards,
Tino