Date:	Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:56:11 -0800
From:	Auke Kok <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>
To:	Adam Kropelin <akropel1@...hester.rr.com>
CC:	Auke Kok <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>,
	Allen Parker <parker@...hunt.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: intel 82571EB gigabit fails to see link on 2.6.20-rc5 in-tree
 e1000 driver (regression)

Adam Kropelin wrote:
>>> I wasn't aware that I was supposed to post this as a regression, so
>>> changed the subject, hoping that someone will pick this up and run with
>>> it. Primary issue being that link is not seen on this chipset under
>>> 2.6.20-rc5 via in-tree e1000 driver, despite multiple cycles of ifconfig
>>> $eth up && ethtool $eth | grep link && ifconfig $eth down. Tested on 2
>>> machines with identical hardware.
>> I asked Allen to report this here. I'm working on the issue as we speak
>> but for now I'll treat the link issue as a known regression once I
>> confirm it. If others have seen it then I'd like to know ASAP of course
>
> I am experiencing the no-link issue on a 82572EI single port copper
> PCI-E card. I've only tried 2.6.20-rc5, so I cannot tell if this is a
> regression or not yet. Will test older kernel soon.
>
> Can provide details/logs if you want 'em.

we've already established that Allen's issue is not due to the driver and caused by
interrupts being mal-assigned on his system, possibly a pci subsystem bug. You also have
a completely different board (82572EI instead of 82571EB), so I'd like to see the usual
debugging info as well as hearing from you whether 2.6.19.any works correctly.

On top of that I posted a patch to rc5-mm yesterday that fixes a few significant bugs in
the rc5-mm driver, so please apply that patch too before trying, so we're not wasting
our time finding old bugs ;)

Cheers,

Auke