Date:	Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:56:11 +0100
From:	Jan Evert van Grootheest <j.e.van.grootheest@...way.nl>
To:	Michael Wu <flamingice@...rmilk.net>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: adm8211 (from linville wireless-2.6) in xen guest

Michael,

Michael Wu wrote:
> On Saturday 20 January 2007 07:19, Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:
>
>> One question, though. I'm trying to use it in ad-hoc mode. If there's no
>> other station with the same essid, it just keeps mentioning that
>> (besides the BCNTC and TSFTF messages)
>>
>> wlan0: No matching adhoc sta found. Creating IBSS 00:04:e2:3f:2a:70 CHAN=11
>>
>> And the IBSS changes every time, which is about every 30 seconds. Is it
>> really supposed to change the IBSS each time?
>>
> Probably not, but I never debugged adhoc mode enough.

If there're some tests I can help with, just ask.
I've decided yesterday that I really should get myself a WRT54G or
somesuch. So there's not much pressure for this adm8211 anymore.
>> The reason I ask is that my wife has a laptop with an Atheros chip in
>> it. If it is configured for ad-hoc it creates the IBSS and sticks with
>> it. So I now have two computers that have different behaviour in this
>> respect. That in itself is not, I guess, a problem. But it seems to me
>> that the random IBSS created by the adm8211 would result in two stations
>> not seeing eachother or taking longer than necessary to find eachother?
>>

> Have you checked? I think the bssid should stop changing once another station
> with the same ssid comes into range.

Well, it took more than 1 minute and I left for coffee. When I returned
they had found eachother.

Do you perhaps know whether there's a sourcetree somewhere of the dscape
code that can be compiled as external modules for 2.6.18?
At least I can help test the dscape code, which I understand is the
current future of wireless in linux.

Thanks,
Jan Evert