Date:	Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:13:52 +1300
From:	"Ian McDonald" <ian.mcdonald@...di.co.nz>
To:	"Baruch Even" <baruch@...en.org>
Cc:	"Stephen Hemminger" <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Dave Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 3/3] tcp: remove experimental variants from default list

On 2/13/07, Baruch Even <baruch@...en.org> wrote:
> * Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org> [070212 18:04]:
> > The TCP Vegas implementation is buggy, and BIC is too agressive
> > so they should not be in the default list. Westwood is okay, but
> > not well tested.
>
> Since no one really agrees on the relative merits and problems of the
> different algorithms and since the users themselves dont know, dont care
> and have no clue on what should be the correct behaviour to report bugs
> (see the old bic bugs, the htcp bugs, the recent sack bugs) I would
> suggest to avoid making the whole internet a guinea pig and get back to
> reno. If someone really needs to push high BDP flows he should test it
> himself and choose what works for his kernel at the time.
>
> For myself and anyone who asks me I recommend to set the default to
> reno. For the few who really need high speed flows, they should test
> kernel and protocol combination.
>
> Baruch

I agree wholeheartedly with Baruch. If we are going to remove BIC as
default we should go back to Reno as Cubic is even less tested in
production use than BIC.

Unless of course the papers you saw at PFLDNET showed that Cubic was a
really good choice and you want to point us to those papers.

Ian
--
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4
Blog: http://iansblog.jandi.co.nz