Date:	Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:56:09 +0300
From:	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru>
To:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>
Cc:	akepner@....com, linux@...izon.com, davem@...emloft.net,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, bcrl@...ck.org
Subject: Re: Extensible hashing and RCU

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 02:38:13PM +0100, Eric Dumazet (dada1@...mosbay.com) wrote:
> On Monday 19 February 2007 12:41, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
>
> > > 1 microsecond ? Are you kidding ? We want no more than 50 ns.
> >
> > Theory again.
>

> Theory is nice, but I personally prefer oprofile :)
> I base my comments on real facts.
> We *want* 50 ns tcp lookups (2 cache line misses, one with reader intent, one
> for exclusive access intent)

I said that your words are theory in previous mails :)

Current code works 10 times worse than you expect.

> > Existing table does not scale that good - I created (1<<20)/2 (to cover
> > only established part) entries table and filled it with 1 million of random
> > entries -search time is about half of microsecod.
>
> I use exactly 1^20 slots, not 1^19 (see commit
> dbca9b2750e3b1ee6f56a616160ccfc12e8b161f , where I changed layout of ehash
> table so that two chains (established/timewait) are on the same cache line.
> every cache miss *counts*)

Forget about cache misses and cache lines - we have a hash table, only
part of which is used (part for time-wait sockets, part for established
ones).

Anyway, even with 2^20 (i.e. when the whole table is only used for
established sockets) search time is about 360-370 nsec on 3.7 GHz Core
Duo (only one CPU is used) with 2 GB of ram.

> http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg31096.html
>
> (Of course, you may have to change MAX_ORDER to 14 or else the hash table hits
> the MAX_ORDER limit)
>
> Search time under 100 ns, for real trafic (kind of random... but not quite)
> Most of this time is taken by the rwlock, so expect 50 ns once RCU is finally
> in...

My experiment shows almost 400 nsecs without _any_ locks - they are
removed completely - it is pure hash selection/list traverse time.

> In your tests, please make sure a User process is actually doing real work on
> each CPU, ie evicting cpu caches every ms...
>
> The rule is : On a normal machine, cpu caches contain UserMode data, not
> kernel data. (as a typical machine spends 15% of its cpu time in kernel land,
> and 85% in User land). You can assume kernel text is in cache, but even this
> assumption may be wrong.

In my tests _only_ hash tables are in memory (well with some bits of
other stuff) - I use exactly the same approach for both trie and hash
table tests - table/trie is allocated, filled and lookup of random
values is performed in a loop. It is done in userspace - I just moved
list.h inet_hashtable.h and other needed files into separate project and
compiled them (with removed locks, atomic operations and other pure
kernel stuff). So actual time even more for hash table - at least it
requires locks while trie implementation works with RCU.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov