Date:	Sat, 24 Feb 2007 05:00:46 -0500 (EST)
From:	brownh@...tford-hwp.com (Haines Brown)
To:	m.a.a.kastrinou-theodoro@...ham.ac.uk
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-hams@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-doc@...r.kernel.org, linux-net@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-newbie@...r.kernel.org, linux-gcc@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-word@...r.kernel.org, linux-lugnuts@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-new-lists@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: anthropology of linux: help needed

> 1. When did you start using GNU/Linux OS?

Not sure. Perhaps 2000.

> 2. What is your level of involvement?
> newbie/ user/ developer (delete as appropriate)

user

> 3. Why are you using Linux?

Stability, keyboard-orientation (don't run a  desktop), more fun.

> 4. Is Linux fun? How?

Yes. Modularization, file configuration give sense of understanding
and control.

> 5. Which distribution of Linux do you use?

Debian Sarge

> 6. What in your opinion constitutes a ¡good hack¢?

Not sure how to answer this.

> 7. Would you describe yourself as a ¡hacker¢?

No.

> 8. Which super-hero (apart from Tux) do you think
> would represent Linux best?

no opinion

> 9. Describe Microsoft OS in one word.

Clunky

> 10. How do you view the recent patent agreement
> between Microsoft and Novell?

Well, no strong opionion.

> 11. GNU GPL, copyleft and freedom of speech: good, bad
> or irrelevant?

Good. Most of my work depends on fair use doctrine.

> 12. How many Linux mailing lists are you a member of?

Not sure. Perhaps four.

> 13. Would you reply to a question sent through Linux
> mailing lists and why?

Yes. Desire to be helpful.

> 14. Microsoft vs. Linux: cathedral vs. bazaar or
> something altogether different?

Good question. I felt "cathedral vs. bazaar" was a bit rhetorical and
inflated. I see MS as example of capitalism, while Linux is more petit
bourgeois. Their difference is not my concern.

> 15. Open Source or Free Software?

Not either or. Not being a developer, I can only support open source
at a distance as a good idea. Free software does affect me because I'm
low income. The two seem interdependent.

> Personal Information:
> a) Age: 71
> b) Gender: M
> c) Occupation: retire teacher
> d) Your current geographic location: Connecticut, US
>
> Any other comments?
>

> Would you like me to e-mail you the results? YES/ NO

yes