Date:	Thu, 1 Mar 2007 15:34:35 -0800
From:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>
Cc:	John find <linux.kernel@...e.fr>, linux-net@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: CLOCK_MONOTONIC datagram timestamps by the kernel

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 00:14:37 +0100
Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com> wrote:

> Stephen Hemminger a écrit :
>

> > You probably want to add a SO_TIMESTAMPNS setsockopt() value like existing SO_TIMESTAMP
>
> You mean an alias like this ?
>
> #define SO_TIMESTAMPNS SO_TIMESTAMP
>
> Or should we really use another value ?

Another value since if someone turns on SO_TIMESTAMP they want usec (timeval)
and SO_TIMESTAMPNS would be for nanosecond values. Trying to set both
flags would be not allowed.

- original -

     If the SO_TIMESTAMP option is enabled on a SOCK_DGRAM socket, the
     recvmsg(2) call will return a timestamp corresponding to when the data-
     gram was received.  The msg_control field in the msghdr structure points
     to a buffer that contains a cmsghdr structure followed by a struct
     timeval.  The cmsghdr fields have the following values:

     cmsg_len = sizeof(struct timeval)
     cmsg_level = SOL_SOCKET
     cmsg_type = SCM_TIMESTAMP

- add -
     If the SO_TIMESTAMPNS option is enabled on a SOCK_DGRAM socket,
     cmsg_len = sizeof(struct timespec)
     cmsg_level = SOL_SOCKET
     cmsg_type = SCM_TIMESTAMPNS
--