Date:	Thu, 08 Mar 2007 20:08:29 +0100
From:	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
To:	jt@....hp.com
Cc:	Michael Buesch <mb@...sch.de>, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@...ox.com>,
	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>,
	Jouni Malinen <jkm@...icescape.com>
Subject: Re: wireless extensions vs. 64-bit architectures

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 10:49 -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> 	A proper fix would involve forcing the alignement in the
> kernel. Unfortunately, that would break 64bit->64bit configs. I think
> I can build a workaround for this in iwlib.

Not easily I think. You'd have to get something that has a well-defined
result and see whether padding is present or not. The MAC address might
be good enough (due to len being 24 instead of the expected 20) though.
Thing is that it's really hard to figure out (even at runtime) whether
the kernel and machine are 64 or 32-bits.

I'd think this is a kernel bug and 32-bit userspace should rightfully be
able to expect 32-bit aligned structs, no? Actually fixing it in the
kernel would not be trivial though.

johannes

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (191 bytes)