Date:	Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:01:38 -0700
From:	"Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@...master.com>
To:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	<ak@...e.de>
Subject: Re: RFC: Established connections hash function

"Andi Kleen" (ak@...e.de) wrote:

> To truly defend against this you would likely need a cryptographic
> hash, which would be likely too slow.

    I do not think that a cryptographically secure hash is necessary for
this. Using a better hash function (i.e. one which does a good job of
throroughly mixing the input bits, as jenkins does), is sufficient when
combined with a secret per-boot salt, something which is easily demonstrable
by test runs.

> If it's a real problem the better fix would be to switch to some
> kind of balanced tree (like Evgeniy is proposing) .

    I don't have any special attachment to the Jenkins hash, or to a hash
table even. So, _yes_, by all means if a better solution is available let us
use it and I'll be the first to cheer. But I don't know if Evgeniy's work is
ready for prime time, and I consider plugging in an improved hash function
to be an acceptable solution in the meantime.

> But I think it can be mostly ignored.

    With all due respect, it cannot. An attacker with a small-sized botnet
(which is ~250 hosts) can create chains that contain well in excess of 3000
items. A big botnet (and there exist botnets with well over 5000 machines in
them) can bring a system to its knees. You may not have gotten bitten by
this, but others, including myself and Eric Dumazet have. And I believe that
David Miller agrees, although I do not want to put words in his mouth -- or
his keyboard, as the case may be.

    What this boils down to is, yes, we can keep patching our own kernels to
use tagged jenkins hashing if this affects us, waiting for something better
to come along. But isn't it more reasonable to add this into the kernel, at
least as a non-default compile time option, and allow administrators to
decide whether this is something they want to use?

    -n