Date:	Sat, 12 May 2007 12:45:53 -0400
From:	"SANGTAE HA" <sangtae.ha@...il.com>
To:	"Bill Fink" <billfink@...dspring.com>
Cc:	"Injong Rhee" <rhee@....ncsu.edu>,
	"Stephen Hemminger" <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"David Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, rhee@...u.edu,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.20.7 TCP cubic (and bic) initial slow start way too slow?

Hi Bill,

This is the small patch that has been applied to 2.6.22.
Also, there is "limited slow start", which is an experimental RFC
(RFC3742), to surmount this large increase during slow start.
But, your kernel might not have this. Please check there is a sysctl
variable "tcp_max_ssthresh".

Thanks,
Sangtae

On 5/12/07, Bill Fink <billfink@...dspring.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007, Injong Rhee wrote:
>
> > Oops. I thought Bill was using 2.6.20 instead of 2.6.22 which should contain
> > our latest update.
>
> I am using 2.6.20.7.
>
> > Regarding slow start behavior, the latest version should not change though.
> > I think it would be ok to change the slow start of bic and cubic to the
> > default slow start. But what we observed is that when BDP is large,
> > increasing cwnd by two times is really an overkill. consider increasing from
> > 1024 into 2048 packets..maybe the target is somewhere between them. We have
> > potentially a large number of packets flushed into the network. That was the
> > original motivation to change slow start from the default into a more gentle
> > version. But I see the point that Bill is raising. We are working on
> > improving this behavior in our lab. We will get back to this topic in a
> > couple of weeks after we finish our testing and produce a patch.
>
> Is it feasible to replace the version of cubic in 2.6.20.7 with the
> new 2.1 version of cubic without changing the rest of the kernel, or
> are there kernel changes/dependencies that would prevent that?
>
> I've tried building and running a 2.6.21-git13 kernel, but am having
> some difficulties.  I will be away the rest of the weekend so won't be
> able to get back to this until Monday.
>
>                                                 -Bill
>
> P.S.  When getting into the the 10 Gbps range, I'm not sure there's
>       any way to avoid the types of large increases during "slow start"
>       that you mention, if you want to achieve those kinds of data
>       rates.

Download attachment "tcp_cubic-2.6.20.3.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (927 bytes)