Date:	Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:57:25 +0100 (BST)
From:	Mark Fortescue <mark@...hpc.demon.co.uk>
To:	William Lee Irwin III <wli@...omorphy.com>
cc:	Michal Piotrowski <michal.k.k.piotrowski@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Dan Aloni <da-x@...atomic.org>,
	Chad Tindel <ctindel@...rs.sourceforge.net>,
	Jay Vosburgh <fubar@...ibm.com>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	sparclinux@...r.kernel.org, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@...uu.se>,
	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>, Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...e.de>,
	Alex Riesen <raa.lkml@...il.com>, Andi Kleen <ak@...e.de>,
	Ioan Ionita <opslynx@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [2/2] 2.6.22-rc4: known regressions v3

Benh's ptep_set_access_flags() patch needs to be applied in order to get
anyware with sun4c for all kernels >= linux-2.6.15. If not applied, you
will be lucky to get sash running as your init and even that will have
very limitit capabilities before it locks up the processor (power up
reset required).

It has been applied to both the kernels I used for testing so this
problem is independent of the ptep_set_access_flags patch but that
does not mean that it is not a related issue.

I will try to get some testing done over the weekend to narrow down
when the random illegal instructions first occour.

If I start with 2.6.21 then if that is OK, then I should be able to narow
the issue down without too much trouble. If it is between 2.6.20 and
2.6.21 then it will be a right pig as there are a large number of commits
that don't compile for sun4c between these two. What I am hoping is that
it occours in the 2.6.22-rc2 as per the x86_64.

I am going to have to put a 'reset' button onto my test system as power up
resets are bad news on this old hardware and almost all kernel failures
result in a processor lockup. I have even had to make BUG reports 'panic'
as thoes that I have during kernel fault location had are terminal to a
sun4c (they cause a processor lockup).

Regards
 	Mark Fortescue.