Date:	Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:13:11 -0700
From:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
To:	Bill Fink <billfink@...dspring.com>
Cc:	Linux Network Development list <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: specifying scopid's for link-local IPv6 addrs

> Rick,
>
> I don't see any way around this.  For example, on one of my test
> systems, I have the following link local routes:
>
> chance% netstat -A inet6 -rn | grep fe80::/64
> fe80::/64                                   ::                                      U     256    0        0 eth0
> fe80::/64                                   ::                                      U     256    0        0 eth2
> fe80::/64                                   ::                                      U     256    0        0 eth3
> fe80::/64                                   ::                                      U     256    0        0 eth4
> fe80::/64                                   ::                                      U     256    0        0 eth5
> fe80::/64                                   ::                                      U     256    0        0 eth6
>
> So if I want to run a link local test to fe80::202:b3ff:fed4:cd1,
> the system has no way to choose which is the correct interface to
> use for the test, and will give an error if the interface isn't
> specified.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  I'm not sure if the attempts on "those other
OSes" happened to involve multiple interfaces or not.  Even so, it "feels"
unpleasant for an application to deal with and I wonder if there is a way for a
stack to deal with it on the application's behalf.  I guess that might involve
some sort of layer violation between neightbor discovery and routing (typing
while I think about things I know little about...)

Is there RFC chapter and verse I might read about routing with multiple
link-local's on a system?

> You must explicitly specify the desired interface.  For example,
> on my test system, the correct interface is eth6 which is interface 8
> (lo eth0 eth1 eth2 ... eth5 eth6).  Here is an example nuttcp test
> specifying interface 8:
>
> chance% nuttcp -P5100 fe80::202:b3ff:fed4:cd1%8
>  1178.5809 MB /  10.02 sec =  986.2728 Mbps 12 %TX 15 %RX
>
> nuttcp uses getaddrinfo() which parses the "%<ifindex>" field,
> and then copies the sin6_scope_id from the res structure to the
> server's sockaddr_in6 structure before initiating the connect().

OK, I'll give that a quick try with netperf:

[root@...pc106 ~]# netperf -H 192.168.2.107 -c -C -i 30,3 -- -s 1M -S 1M -m 64K
-H fe80::207:43ff:fe05:9d%2
TCP STREAM TEST from ::0 (::) port 0 AF_INET6 to fe80::207:43ff:fe05:9d%2
(fe80::207:43ff:fe05:9d) port 0 AF_INET6 : +/-2.5% @ 99% conf.

Cool - it establishes the data connection just fine.

To further demonstrate my ignorance :)  is that %n suffix something one might
expect in most/all getaddrinfo()'s or is that unique to the one in Linux?

rick jones