Date:	Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:19:58 +0300 (EEST)
From:	"Ilpo Järvinen" <ilpo.jarvinen@...sinki.fi>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
cc:	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: [RFC] stuff from tcp-2.6 partially merged to upcoming net-2.6.24?

Hi Dave,

...Noticed you were planning to open net-2.6.24 tree... IMHO, part of the
stuff in tcp-2.6 could be merged to 2.6.24. I suggest that most of the
stuff which is not directly related to the rbtree, new lost marker, nor
sacktag reorganization are taken. Some of those things are very trivial
to take as they do not introduce have any conflicts. Besides that there
are some stuff that would need some work if takes as they are built on
top of stuff that will remain only in tcp-2.6 (includes left_out removal
and IsReno/Fack conversion)... But if it's ok, I could try to come up with
a solution even to them... Perhaps do this in two (or more) stages by
first taking the trivial ones...

I tried rebasing tcp-2.6 (there's some not yet submitted work on top of
it too) to top of be1b685fe6c9928848b26b568eaa86ba8ce0046c, result is
here:
  http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/ijjarvin/tcp-rebase/{before,after}
...There was at least one gotcha (sacktag's flag reset position change
when sacktag_state is created). But all in all, conflicts weren't that
hard to resolve... One may resolve some things differently than I did,
so YMMV if you want to try that yourself... :-) ...I also diffed
all.patch'es to see if there was some undesired side-effect from diff
but didn't find any. Currently only compile tested.

Do you have any suggestion how I should proceed? Or do you perhaps object
such partial merge completely? ...I could try to come up with a cleaned up
patch series which has original and their bug fix parts combined to a
single patch per change (would provide cleaner history and shouldn't be
very hard to do either)...

--
 i.