Date:	Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:13:31 +0300 (EEST)
From:	"Ilpo Järvinen" <ilpo.jarvinen@...sinki.fi>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
cc:	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] stuff from tcp-2.6 partially merged to upcoming net-2.6.24?

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, David Miller wrote:

> From: "Ilpo_Järvinen" <ilpo.jarvinen@...sinki.fi>
> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:19:58 +0300 (EEST)
>
> > Do you have any suggestion how I should proceed? Or do you perhaps object
> > such partial merge completely? ...I could try to come up with a cleaned up
> > patch series which has original and their bug fix parts combined to a
> > single patch per change (would provide cleaner history and shouldn't be
> > very hard to do either)...
>
> Thank you for doing the rebase.  I agree with you that we should
> seperate out as much of the non-rb-tree stuff as possible and put it
> into net-2.6.24

...It would also help a lot in case we at some point of time in the future
decide to merge rb-tree stuff but then have to back up to have it merged
in a cleaner state which is easier to revert than with cleanups
combined... Besides once I get some additional bits done (haven't yet
dared to do L-bit cascade surgery which will fix timedout loop entry
bugs and allow dropping of retrans hint counter), long enough mm sit would
be nice route to rbtree stuff since there it's getting at least bit more
versitile testing that we alone can put to it...

> I'll will try hard to make time to look at your rebase and try to move
> things forward.

...I case you want to validate them, git-patch-id helps to exclude
identical changes between before and after allowing you to spend more
time on things that required non-trivial resolution...

> I've been all-consumed by the NAPI work and a driver I've been writing
> in the background for the past few weeks.

...I can try to help... I suggest that as first step we take all changes
that do not cause any conflicts (I've already tried cherry-picks), only
thing I'm not sure whether I should combine change+fix parts or keep
them as they were in tcp-2.6 (I suggest we combine them but you may
disagree..?). I can either post them as series or give you them in
--pretty=oneline format if you want to cherry-pick them yourself (in
that case having a common tree would help a bit as commit ids would
match as well then)).

However, at least highest_sack inclusion (no space loss as one hint
counter can be then dropped and allows accurate fackets out which I've
partially coded already) will need also SACK-block validator. But I
basically have to redo as the validator patch was sacktag reorganization
based previously (I've already found couple of improvements too to it's
accuracy :-))...

--
 i.