Date:	Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:26:18 -0700
From:	"Grant Grundler" <grundler@...gle.com>
To:	"Mandeep Baines" <mandeep.baines@...il.com>
Cc:	"David Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, hadi@...erus.ca,
	rick.jones2@...com, msb@...gle.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	robert.olsson@....uu.se, venza@...wnhat.org
Subject: Re: pktgen terminating condition

On 8/29/07, Mandeep Baines <mandeep.baines@...il.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, the TxIdle interrupt would not free the last odd packet.
> However, if we want to quiet interrupts couldn't the driver just be
> converted NAPI. If this seems reasonable I could work on a patch.

It seems reasonable and that's what I was thinking when you
submitted the patch to use TXOk.

I think NAPI could be used with either TxOK or TxIdle interrupts.
For TxIdle to work, the driver would have to recognize one more
packet is still in flight and poll for completion of that packet - then
re-enable interrupts and switch back to interrupt mode of operation.
I just don't know if netperf TCP_RR perf numbers will suffer
(assuming TCP_RR is more important than CPU utilization/efficiency
on heavy TX loads like pktgen.)

grant