Date:	Mon, 3 Sep 2007 11:32:10 +0200
From:	Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster@....de>
To:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
Cc:	James Chapman <jchapman@...alix.com>,
	Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@...akeasy.net>,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [0/7] [PPP]: Fix shared/cloned/non-linear skb bugs (was: malformed captured packets)

Am Freitag, 31. August 2007 schrieb Herbert Xu:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 09:51:31AM +0000, James Chapman wrote:
> >
> > The captured PPPoE stream seems to show incorrect data lengths in the
> > PPPoE header for some captured PPPoE packets. The kernel's PPPoE
> > datapath uses this length to extract the PPP frame and send it through
> > to the ppp interface. Since your ppp stream is fine, the actual PPPoE
> > header contents must be correct when it is parsed by the kernel PPPoE
> > code. It seems more likely that this is a wireshark bug to me.
>
> If he were using the kernel pppoe driver, then this is because
> PPP filtering is writing over a cloned skb without copying it.
>
> In fact, there seems to be quite a few bugs of this kind in
> the various ppp*.c files.
>
> Please try the following patches to see if they make a
> difference.
>
> I've audited ppp_generic.c and pppoe.c.  I'll do pppol2tp
> tomorrow.
>
> Cheers,

I've applied the patch series onto a Gentoo-2.6.22-r5 kernel and use this kernel
now since some days w/o any problems both at work and at home.

Many thanks.

--
MfG/Sincerely

Toralf Förster
pgp finger print: 7B1A 07F4 EC82 0F90 D4C2 8936 872A E508 7DB6 9DA3

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)