Date:	Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:11:57 -0400
From:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
To:	Jay Vosburgh <fubar@...ibm.com>
Cc:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [git patches] net driver fixes

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 12:19 -0700, Jay Vosburgh wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >I admit that I probably don't understand the system architecture of
> >where ehea would be used, but would this
> >cause /sys/class/net/ethX/carrier to be TRUE even if the device has no
> >carrier?  That seems quite wrong IMHO.  When does ehea not have a
> >carrier?  And in that case, does sysfs say 1 or 0 for the carrier?
>
> 	I don't work on ehea, but I'm generally familiar with it, and
> particularly with this patch.
>
> 	The usual environment for ehea devices is on large systems
> subdivided into multiple logical partitions.  One ehea device serves
> many partitions.  By having ehea always report "link up" to the logical
> ports (the ports seen by the partitions), the partitions can communicate
> amongst themselves even if the external ports (the ports that go to the
> switch or whatever) have no link.

(forgive my ignorance of course)

So essentially the ehea device has a 1(+) external ports that may/may
not be connected, but all lpars share the physical hardware itself,
which is quite happy to let all the lpars talk to each other essentially
via loopback even if there is no actual carrier detected on the external
port(s)?  How does addressing work here, is it just L2 addresses?  Feel
free to point me to some docs and tell me to shut up :)

At least these days module parameters can be changed at runtime through
sysfs.  Stuff that can only be set at module load doesn't provide
userspace the flexibility it needs to configure stuff on the fly.

Dan