Date:	Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:02:51 -0700
From:	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>
To:	L F <lfabio.linux@...il.com>
CC:	James Chapman <jchapman@...alix.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: e1000 driver and samba

L F wrote:
>> To me it suggests that your speed is not full-duplex. Check `ethtool eth0` output
>> and see if your link is full duplex or not. also check previous kernel messages
>> and see what the e1000 driver posted there for link speed messages (as in "e1000:
>>  Link is UP speed XXX duplex YYY")
> from dmesg:
> device eth4 entered promiscuous mode
> e1000: eth4: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex,
> Flow Control: RX/TX
> [It looks like the e1000 driver that came in the kernel is Intel(R)
> PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.20-k2 - would there be any
> benefit to trying the 7.6.5 from the Intel website again?]
>
> from ethtool:
> beehive:~# ethtool eth4
> Settings for eth4:
>         Supported ports: [ TP ]
>         Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                 1000baseT/Full
>         Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                 1000baseT/Full
>         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Speed: 1000Mb/s
>         Duplex: Full
>         Port: Twisted Pair
>         PHYAD: 0
>         Transceiver: internal
>         Auto-negotiation: on
>         Supports Wake-on: d
>         Wake-on: d
>         Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
>         Link detected: yes
>
> As best I can tell, the card is in full duplex mode.
> Because of a 'running out of ideas' compulsion I disassembled and
> reassembled the machine completely, ran a memory test overnight,
> changed the cable AGAIN with a CAT6 of the shortest possible length.

The statistic we were looking at _will_ increase when running in half duplex,
but if it increases when running in full duplex might indicate a hardware
failure. Probably you have fixed the issue with the CAT6 cable.

Can you run this new configuration with the old cable? that would eliminate
the cable (or not)

> That plus samba-3.0.26-1 seem to have cured the disconnects - as a
> matter of fact I CAN'T get the machine to disconnect anymore, even
> under completely artificial loads (i.e. stress test quality, not
> average use) from five clients (I know, that isn't saying much, but it
> was failing spectacularly at ONE before, so I figure this may be worth
> mentioning).
> However, the incorrect file transfer still occurs with large files
> (500MB+). My original thought behind the disassembly/reassembly/memory
> test was that possibly the issue was hardware related, but I seem to
> have eliminated that possiblity.
> Further, I checked. There are currently 20+ machines in production
> with the same debian distribution and kernel, running on 975X / P965
> boards, all with r8169 drivers, doing RAID5 fileserver duty. They
> work. With significant numbers (up to 65) of clients. This one doesn't
> want to. I can't help but think it's the NIC/driver combo, but it
> seems absurd to me.

A single port failure on a switch can also happen, and samba is definately
a good test for defective hardware. I cannot rule out anything from the
information we have gotten yet.

Auke