Date:	Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:40:51 +0200
From:	Emil Micek <emil.micek@...jasek.cz>
Cc:	"auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>,
	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>,
	Chris Leech <chris.leech@...il.com>,
	Francesco Fondelli <francesco.fondelli@...il.com>,
	jamal <hadi@...erus.ca>, Jesse <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>
Subject: Re: change the way e1000 is handling short VLAN frames

Thanks for your replies.

We contacted Arris (manufacturer of our CMTS) about this issue with
links to relevant parts of specification about minimum size of VLAN
tagged frames and it seems they'll acknowledge the problem and fix it in
next firmware.

Meantime i tried different suggestions posted there (patch from Chris,
replacing ETH_ZLEN with VLAN_ETH_ZLEN in e1000_main.c and disabling HW
VLAN tagging in netdev->features) and combinations of them, but none of
it worked and 64B VLAN frames are still generated by our intel NIC.

I'll now consider this issue as closed on the e1000 and intel NIC side,
because there was no problem with them in the first place, and I'll
rather concentrate on resolving it on the CMTS side which doesn't act
according to specs.

Cheer

Emil.