Date:	Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:45:26 +0200
From:	"Denys" <denys@...p.net.lb>
To:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: HFSC dangerous behaviour (not a bug)

After thinking about that, i can say only thanks.
I like your idea, and it is better to avoid mistakes and missed traffic, then
have a lot of complaints from users "why my shaper not working well". And
seems i will try to switch to HFSC.

Thanks for explanation.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:55:31 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote
> Denys wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > During testing i found very strange thing.
> > After applying even example shaper:
> > http://linux-ip.net/tc/hfsc.en/
> > -------------
> > [...]
> > ---------------
> > I had all traffic on eth0 stopped. Tried on br0 - same result. Even ARP
> > becoming non-functional.
> >
> > After specifying correct default class everything worked fine.
> >
> > In HTB if you dont specify default class, traffic just pass without
> > "shaping".
>
> HFSC drops unclassified packets. If you don't classify ARP properly,
> things will break,
>
> > Is it possible to keep same behaviour on both disciplines?
> > Probably just dropping all traffic not good idea, cause if user working
on
> > remote box by forgetting specifying default class or by mistake using
> > incorrect class number he will loose access to the box, if same interface
is
> > used for tests on shaping and access.
> > In same time it is good, and can show accurate results on shaping,
without
> > bypassing some "forgotten" traffic.
> > But at least it must be same, IMHO, on HTB and HFSC.
>
> This came up a couple of times already. I don't like HTB's behaviour
> since you don't notice when your classifiers are incomplete. So I'm
> against changing HFSC to behave similar. HTB OTOH can't be changed
> since users probably rely on that, not classifying ARP is a common
> mistake.
>
> -

Denys Fedoryshchenko
Technical Manager