Date:	Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:04:47 +0100
From:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>
To:	Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@...il.com>
CC:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>, netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [NETFILTER] xt_hashlimit : speedups hash_dst()

Jarek Poplawski a écrit :
> Eric Dumazet wrote, On 12/14/2007 10:37 PM:
>
>> Jarek Poplawski a écrit :

>>> Are we sure of the same hash distribution? Probably I miss something,
>>> but: if this 'hash' is well distributed on 32 bits, and ht->cfg.size
>>> is smaller than 32 bits, e.g. 256 (8 bits), then this multiplication
>>> moves to the higher 32 of u64 only max. 8 bits of the most significant
>>> byte, and the other three bytes are never used, while division is
>>> always affected by all four bytes...
>> Not sure what you are saying... but if size=256, then, yes, we want a final
>> result between 0 and 255, so three bytes are nul.
>
> Eric, it would be nice to acknowledge David's suggestion that this hash
> size is always power of two here, because otherwise at least your words
> about the same hash distribution according to the "%" variant could be
> wrong (but I don't say the final result would be wrong). Maybe I mix
> up these sizes, but it seems this could be set by a user, and I didn't
> find anything about this power of two necessity?

size is not a power of two here.

I prefer to let admins chose their size, since it makes attacker life more
difficult :)

For example, I can tell you I have a server, were size is between 2.000.000
and 3.500.000, I dont want to be forced to use 2097152

A multiply is cheap, at least on current hardware.