Date:	Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:28:00 +0100
From:	Daniel Lezcano <dlezcano@...ibm.com>
To:	Andy Johnson <johnsonzjo@...il.com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Section mismatch between 'copy_net_ns' and 'net_enable_timestamp

Andy Johnson wrote:
> Hello,
>  I had git-cloned the net-2.6.25.git tree today;
>
>  Then I ran "make menuconfig" and accepted the defaults without any change.
> I want to build this tree with network namespace support.
> I saw that in 2.6.25/net/core/net_namespace.c
> we have some #ifdef CONFIG_NET_NS ; I did not CONFIG_NET_NS in "make
> menuconfig".
> So I added in net_namespace.c #define CONFIG_NET_NS, before the first
> #ifdef CONFIG_NET_NS; then I ran make.
>
> I saw the following warning:
>
> WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x1d47cd): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:
> (between 'copy_net_ns' and 'net_enable_timestamp')
>

> Is there something wrong here causing this "Section mismatch"?
> or did I do something wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Andy
> --

Hi Andy,

If you want to activate the network namespace, you should disable the
sysfs. This is a temporary restriction until Greg-KH integrates the
sysfs per namespace:

https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/containers/2007-December/009347.html

Can you try to using the menuconfig to enable the network namespace and
check if you still have the section mismatch ?

General setup
  -> Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers => enable
  -> Configure standard kernel features => enable

File systems
  -> Pseudo filesystems
   -> sysfs file system support => disable

Networking