Date:	Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:31:20 +1030
From:	Glen Turner <gdt@....id.au>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Netconf at conf.au 2008?

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 18:08 -0800, David Miller wrote:

> Now, if this were available outside of the conference so that we could
> play with it remotely from where we work, that's more interesting.

Hi David,

As I posted to this list last year AARNet is willing to make
a 10GE connected server in Perth available to the netdev
and PFLDNet communities.  There was a matching offer from the
University of Manchester in England, which gives an impressive
BDP (Perth-Sydney-Seattle-New York-London @ 10Gbps across
production networks).  Since there was no reply to the offer
it went on the back burner and we've done a smaller rollout
(Perth-Seattle) to suit our own immediate needs.

We really appreciate your work and the work of everyone else
on the netdev list, so I'll re-contact Manchester and get this
back on track.

If you have trouble hosting netconf next year please get in
touch.  Although AARNet could not sponsor the flights or
accommodation we could provide everything else you require.
We're not "name in bright lights" people so there would be
plenty of room for other sponsors. [1]

Alternatively, AARNet has been pretty successful in the past
at attracting sponsorship for events which benefit our users,
so if you and the netdev people were willing to hold a one-day
training/workshop of interest to academic and research network
users (say network host tuning) before/after your meeting then
we'd have no trouble getting sponsorship via the training
event that would be sufficient to cover the airfares and
accommodation for the larger event.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, the users of AARNet face large
RTTs to get anywhere and we are very appreciative of the
huge amount of work that you, John, Stephen and many others
on this list have put into improving performance under the
conditions we face.  If we can help your work then please
ask.

Best wishes, Glen

[1] Witness our sponsorship of linux.conf.au, where our
    only real request is that people don't place us in a
    difficult position by misusing the network we provide.

--
Glen Turner, Network Engineer   (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
Australia's Academic & Research Network         www.aarnet.edu.au