Date:	Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:01:42 -0800
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	Mark Seger <Mark.Seger@...com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: occasionally corrupted network stats in /proc/net/dev

Mark Seger wrote:
> Ignore that last one as it was pointed out to me that we have both nic
> installed on many of our systems and ethtool told me the one
> associated with the nic is actually the broadcom one.
>
> version:        1.4.38 E1B1EC867DEEB8027B2DA0F
> license:        GPL
Ok, we do a similar stats polling, though through a private ioctl I
hacked into the kernel to
get the netdev->stats struct with a memcpy.  I haven't noticed any
problems with counters
in the e1000 driver.   I haven't done enough testing on bcm drivers to
ascertain whether it's
reliable or not w/regard to stats.

If you can reproduce the problem with e1000, it would be worth looking
at the logic that prints
out the proc interface text for problems..and if you cannot, then maybe
it's the bcm driver that
is at issue.

Thanks,
Ben