Date:	Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:39:13 +0100
From:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>
To:	davem@...emloft.net
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [2.6.25-rc2] System freezes ca. 1 minute after logging into KDE

(resend a third time because previous attempts never reached the lists
due to a bug in my MUA; my apologies to David for spamming his inbox)

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> But hey, you can try to prove me wrong.  I dare you.
Me too, me too!

Weird issue this.
About a minute after logging into KDE the system freezes, but only
partially. The keyboard is completely dead in all cases (no console
switching, no SysRq), but some tasks stay running. One time music continued
playing, other times it stopped. One time the desktop clock continued
ticking, other times it stopped. One time I could close a window using the
mouse, but other windows were frozen.
It's not just KDE that's frozen; one time I switched to VT1 before the
freeze happened, but that became unusable too.
Zilch in the logs.

I've bisected it down to:
commit 69cc64d8d92bf852f933e90c888dfff083bd4fc9
Author: David S. Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
    [NDISC]: Fix race in generic address resolution

Confirmed that this is really the culprit by reverting this commit on top
of -rc2, which is now running fine.

I'm using IPv6 (local network only) together with IPv4, use a bridge (br0)
and have an NFS4 mount active.

Cheers,
FJP

View attachment "config-2.6.25-rc2" of type "text/plain" (57859 bytes)