Date:	Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:02:52 +0000
From:	James Chapman <jchapman@...alix.com>
To:	Kevin Lloyd <klloyd@...rrawireless.com>
CC:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Network device driver with PPP

Kevin Lloyd wrote:
>> That seems quite icky to do all in kernel space and a pile of code
>> running in the kernel.  What's so wrong with userspace?  Don't you
> need
>> to push values to the driver like username/password and get IP config
>> out of it (which would involve userspace anyway)?  It just seems like
>> there's a different solution to your actual problem here than stuff
> all
>> off pppd into kernel space.
>
> Actually we provide a method for the driver to obtain the
> username/password information needed for the CHAP authentication so in
> theory the driver has the information needed to create the connection.
> I'm not sure how it would go about setting the DNS and IP addresses, but
> that's a separate issue further down the road.

Can you explain why you need the driver to be involved in any of this?

> I understand that typical implementation is to deal with ppp
> negotiations in the userspace however are there no devices that have
> attempted this in the kernel space / no kernel space modules to aid with
> this?

No.

Control protocols live in userspace, datapath in the kernel.

> Just trying to do a full investigation of all available options,
> even if they aren't the best ones.

> If not, is there a method for the network driver to launch pppd with a
> given set of parameters (not using udev) since the driver would be
> determining username/password runtime.

Can't you implement a private interface to your kernel driver so that
userspace can ask it for the username/password and userspace then starts
pppd with those parameters?

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd