Date:	Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:45:40 +0200
From:	Cosmin Ratiu <cratiu@...acom.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
CC:	Octavian Purdila <opurdila@...acom.com>
Subject: inet established hash question

Hello,

I work at Ixia (most of you probably heard of it), we do network testing
using a custom Linux distribution and some specialized hardware. There
is one scalability issue we ran into a while ago regarding large number
of tcp connections and although we solved it by changing the established
hash function, we'd like your opinion on the issue if you're kind enough.

Basically, the situation is as follows:
There is a client machine and a server machine. Both create 15000
virtual interfaces, open up a socket for each pair of interfaces and do
SIP traffic. By profiling I noticed that there is a lot of time spent
walking the established hash chains with this particular setup. We are
using an old version of the kernel (2.6.7), which was using the
following hash function:

/static __inline__ int tcp_hashfn(__u32 laddr, __u16 lport,
                 __u32 faddr, __u16 fport)
{
    int h = (laddr ^ lport) ^ (faddr ^ fport);
    h ^= h >> 16;
    h ^= h >> 8;
    return h & (tcp_ehash_size - 1);
}/

The addresses were distributed like this: client interfaces were
198.18.0.1/16 with increments of 1 and server interfaces were
198.18.128.1/16 with increments of 1. As I said, there were 15000
interfaces. Source and destination ports were 5060 for each connection.
So in this case, ports don't matter for hashing purposes, and the bits
from the address pairs used cancel each other, meaning there are no
differences in the whole lot of pairs, so they all end up in the same
hash chain.

After investigating things, I noticed the hash function has been changed
in the recent kernels to
/
static inline unsigned int inet_ehashfn(const __be32 laddr, const __u16
lport,
                    const __be32 faddr, const __be16 fport)
{
    return jhash_2words((__force __u32) laddr ^ (__force __u32) faddr,
                ((__u32) lport) << 16 | (__force __u32)fport,
                inet_ehash_secret);
}
/
We tested with the new function and it seems that the results are the
same for this case: bits in address pairs cancel each other out and they
all end up in the same chain.

So I changed the function yet again to stop xor-ing addresses before
feeding them to the jenkins hash. I got something like:
/
{
    int h = jhash_3words(laddr, faddr, ((__u32)lport) << 16 | fport,
tcp_ehash_secret);

    return h & (tcp_ehash_size - 1);
}/

This way, connections get distributed properly in this case and other
cases we tested so far.

So, thanks for reading through all this. My question is whether this is
a good thing to do or not, as I am not so good with hash functions, so I
can't say for sure if we won't run into a collision with a different setup.

Thank you,
Cosmin.