Date:	Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:53:35 +0000
From:	Glen Gray <glen.gray@...cor.com>
To:	David Stevens <dlstevens@...ibm.com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, netdev-owner@...r.kernel.org,
	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
Subject: Re: r8169 driver fails to see IGMPv2 SAP announcements

Hey David,

Thanks for the response. I've posted about this a couple of times over
the months so probably didn't
explain myself properly this time around.

1) Hardware is Thin Client form factor PC with a Via C7 CPU and with
Realtek
8110/8169SC used as a custom
    set top box for IPTV/VOD playback.
2) IPTV channels are announced with SAP
3) Using the Realtek r1000/r8169 driver, SAP announcements are
received and we can generate our playlists for TV channels
    Using any mainline kernel r8169 driver from 2.6.18 to 2.6.24.3,
the SAP announcements are not picked up on the same
    device, connected to the same switch with the same cables. i.e.
everything the same, just with different drivers.
4) Realtek driver proved to be unstable. Francois kindly provided a
patch last summer to work around the major issues
    while investigating why SAP wasn't being detected using the
mainline kernel, but by his own admittance it was low on his
    radar at the time. While the patch for the Realtek driver improved
things in our test lab, the site was still seeing
    issues where the units would "fall off the network" i.e. the units
would be active, but would stop receiving network traffic.
    This only happens after prolonged up times and seemed to be
triggered by a channel change (i.e. subscribing to a new multicast
address).
5) Stress testing of the units with the Realtek r1000/r8169 driver
showed us that
    a) Playing many different 4.5Mbps unicast rtsp streams over and
over again for a week showed no issues what so ever
    b) Playing various multicast streams in sequence, changing every
30 seconds, resulted in visual artifacts after about an hour
       and after 2 to 3 hours most of the streams where unwatchable. A
different hardware platform, running the same software stack
       connected to the same switch and running the same test, showed
no issues.
6) Previous tests with tcpdump showed that the appropriate ethernet
multicast packets weren't coming in, see my original post about
    this from July 2007 while testing on a 2.6.22.1 kernel, http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg42967.html

This issue has plagued us for a long time. The issue has given us a
black eye with the customer due to stability problems with the Realtek
driver
I'd really like to replace that with a fully functional main-line
kernel.