Date:	Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:01:25 +0100
From:	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	davej@...emonkey.org.uk, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.25rc7 lockdep trace

> > You can't flush a workqueue in the device close handler
> > exactly because of this locking conflict.
> >
> > Nobody has come up with a suitable way to fix this yet.
>
> Maybe we should check which schedule_work users actually lock the rtnl
> within the work function and move them to a uses-rtnl-in-work workqueue
> so that everybody else can have rtnl around flush.

On the other hand, most drivers don't actually care that their work has
run, they just care that it won't run in the future after they give up
resources or similar, hence they can and should use cancel_work_sync()
which doesn't suffer from the deadlock. But that needs actual inspection
because it does change behaviour from "run and wait for it if scheduled"
to "cancel if scheduled".

johannes

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (829 bytes)