Date:	Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:45:38 -0500
From:	Andy Fleming <afleming@...escale.com>
To:	Nate Case <ncase@...-inc.com>
Cc:	Olof Johansson <olof@...om.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	pasemi-linux@...abs.org
Subject: Re: [Pasemi-linux] I2C MDIO support for pasemi_mac driver

On Mar 13, 2008, at 16:57, Nate Case wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 12:48 -0600, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> On second thought, it might be a better idea to change from BUS:ID to
>> BUSTYPE:BUS:ID in phylib, to separate the namespaces.
>>
>> That, plus a way to get to an i2c bus number from a device tree node,
>> and we should be all set. That might be tricker though.
>
> This turned out to not be as invasive of a change as I thought.
> Here's
> my first attempt at it.  The changes to pasemi_mac are based on your
> first patch but modified accordingly for the new bus type field.
>
> Comments are welcome.  Patch is against 2.6.23 for now (though I
> wouldn't expect any of these areas to have changed much since then).
> After I get some feedback I can rebase against the latest netdev and
> do
> a formal submission.

Sorry, I should have responded to this when it arrived.

My first instinct is that the current bus->id shouldn't be an int at
all (well, obviously not my *first* instinct, since that's what I did
the first time through).  So I like the idea of including a label in
the bus, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to add a new field.
Instead, I'd like to see bus->id converted to a char * or char [].  I
played around with this a bit today, and it requires a little more
work than it might at first seem, but is quite doable.

The question is whether that would solve your problem.  I think you
would then be able to register buses with the id "pas_gpio:xxx" or
"i2c:xxx", etc.

Anyway, I'm sending a patch which does that as an RFC in a follow-on
email.  A part of me thinks adding bus->type might be good, whether
it's the final solution or not.

Andy