Date:	Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:40:59 -0400
From:	Paul Moore <paul.moore@...com>
To:	Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.sakura.ne.jp>
Cc:	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org,
	Kentaro Takeda <takedakn@...data.co.jp>,
	Toshiharu Harada <haradats@...data.co.jp>,
	linux-netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [TOMOYO #7 30/30] Hooks for SAKURA and TOMOYO.

On Friday 04 April 2008 8:23:12 am Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> This file contains modifications against kernel source code
> needed to use TOMOYO Linux 1.6.
>
> Although LSM hooks are provided for performing access control,
> TOMOYO Linux 1.6 doesn't use LSM because of the following reasons.

Hello,

I understand your frustration with the existing LSM hooks/API and your
reasoning for abandoning LSM in favor of a new set of hooks, however, I
think this sets a dangerous precedence which could result in an
abundance of security related hooks scattered throughout the kernel.  I
would much rather see the LSM API extended/tweaked to support the needs
of SAKURA and TOMOYO than ignored and duplicated; I suspect several
others will say the same.

You have made good progress with TOMOYO so far and if I can remember
correctly you really only have one hurdle left, the VFS portion.
Please continue to seek a solution to this that fits within the LSM
framework.

Thank you.

--
paul moore