Date:	Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:58:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Gertjan Hofman <gertjan_hofman@...oo.com>
To:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: VLAN & ARP requests fail for ARM EABI (2.6.24)

Patrick,

Ben mentioned you might be the person to talk to. Just to make sure I did what you suggested:

From:  http://devresources.linux-foundation.org/dev/iproute2/download/   I downloaded:
iproute2-2.6.24-rc7.tar.bz2       08-Jan-2008 09:06  336K  and cross compiled EABI.

I created the VLAN with:

 ./ip link add link eth0 eth0.0  type vlan id 0   (did I get the syntax correct  ?)

/proc/net/vlan/ indicated eth0.0 is there and looks fine.

Unfortunately pinging through a VLAN to this VLAN fails as before withthe same symptoms - ARP requests are received but not answered.

About OABI/EABI incompatibilities - I didnt explicitly mention it but when testing the EABI, the entire file system is EABI and when testingOABI  the entire filesystem is also OABI - so it should not be theproblem.

We spent quite of bit of time tracking this problem deeper down thestack but with limited results.  It looks like  the calling sequence is:

driver-->
  -- ?
   - ---> vlan.c
        ---> ifnet_tx
           --->  ?
              ---->  arp.c
                    ---> (arp_process)
                      ----> ip_route_input
                        ----> ip_route_input_slow
                          ----> fib_validate_source

Its in fib_validate_source that things go wrong.

In the EABI (faulty kernel), we print values of the device pointers, which are considered in fib_validate_source()
 FIB_RES_DEV(res) : 0xC3C77000
 dev                          : 0xC3E2E800

These are not the same,  so the variable rpf is checked and it bails returning  -EINVAL. You can fake it, by setting rpf=0 using  echo 0>   /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth2.0/rp_filter --> 0 and then pingsfrom the foreign PC to the ARM work.  Still, pings from ARM to PC  dontwork - the ARP request goes out, but the response (which gets to arp.c)is ignored. Presumable for a similar reason - some device pointer check fails.

My guess is that there is a problem with the dev pointer all  the wayback in the vlan.c code, which only manifest itself with the EABIcompiler.
If you run the working kernel version, in   fib_validate_source:

if (in_dev) {
        no_addr = in_dev->ifa_list == NULL;
        rpf = IN_DEV_RPFILTER(in_dev);          ---->  rpfreturns 0 here eventhough the proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth2.0/rp_filteris set to 1.

        if (DEBUG_XXX == 0xDEADBEEF)
          printk(KERN_INFO "*********rpf = 0x%X\n", rpf);
    }

If EABI  rpf =1 , in OABI rpf=0.  So there is something different about  the in_dev. pointer

Do you know what IN_DEV_RPFILTER(in_dev) does exactly ?

I think I need to check the validity of the device pointer already at the VLAN level, but I am not sure how to do this. Any tips ?

Thanks

Gertjan