Date:	Wed, 14 May 2008 17:49:35 -0400
From:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
To:	Sage Weil <sage@...dream.net>
CC:	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: POHMELFS high performance network filesystem. Transactions, failover,
 performance.

Sage Weil wrote:
> You mean if, say, some verifiable metadata or a trusted third party stores
> that checksum?  Sure.  This is just pushing the what-has-committed

Yes.

> information to some other party, though, who will presumably face the same
> problem of requiring a majority for verifiable correctness.  This is more
> or less what most people do in practice... using Paxos for critical state
> and piggybacking the rest of the system's consistency off of that.

More like receiving a guarantee of consensus (just like any signature on
data), while only needing to be able to communicate with a single node.

>>> (This is why Paxos is typically used only for critical cluster
>>> configuration/state, not regular data.)
>> Yep, I'm working on a config daemon a la Chubby or zookeeper, based on Paxos,
>> that does just this.  :)
>
> Cool.  Do you have a URL?  I'd be interested in seeing how you diverge
> from classic paxos.  For Ceph's monitor daemon, the main requirements
> (besides strict correctness guarantees) were scalable (distributed) read
> access, and a history of state changes.  Nothing too unusual.

Is there a URL?  Yes.  http://linux.yyz.us/projects/cld.html

It it useful?  No.  It's just a skeleton code right now.  I am
experimenting with various Paxos algorithms as we speak, which is why
it's fresh in my mind at the moment.

I also forgot to mention hyperspace, which is another up-and-coming
player in this area, alongside Chubby and zookeeper.

	Jeff