Date:	Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:42:58 +0200
From:	Laurent Pinchart <laurentp@...-semaphore.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Ben Dooks <ben-linux@...ff.org>
Subject: DM9000 issue with mem resource management

Hi everybody,

I ran into a resource-related bug in the DM9000 driver.

When the platform device has only 2 resources, dm9000_probe() doesn't set
db->irq_res, which results in a segfault when the pointer gets dereferenced
in dm9000_open().

I tried to fix the issue, and found out that the resource management code is
quite broken.

If I understand things correctly, specifying 3 resources makes the DM9000
driver ioremap() the memory, while specifying 2 resources implies that the
platform code already ioremap()ed the memory. Is that right ?

If so, why does dm9000_probe() call request_mem_region() on ioremap()ed
memory ?

Wouldn't it also be simpler to use release_mem_region() in
dm9000_release_board() instead of release_resource() + kfree() ?

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm my assumptions. I'll then submit a
patch to fix those issues.

Best regards,

--
Laurent Pinchart