Date:	Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:31:03 -0700
From:	Michael Grollman <mgrollman@...us.com>
To:	Mario Limonciello <mario_limonciello@...l.com>
CC:	Kasper Sandberg <lkml@...anurb.dk>,
	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 8169 Intermittent ifup Failure Issue With RTL8102E Chipset in
 Intel's New D945GCLF Atom Board (Not the Initial Modprobe Crash, Another
 Problem)

Mario,

I think patch noted below worked to resolve the remaining issues I have
been experiencing with with realtek Ethernet port on the Intel D945GCLF
motherboard (Atom Mini-ITX).  I tested with the 2.6.26-rc9 kernel this
time, although I applied the patch to the 2.6.25's r8169.c.

Likely it is my inexperience, but the patch as I copied it from the
netdev@...r.kernel.org posting did not apply cleanly using the patch
tool, so I had to hand-apply the patch code changes to 8169.c.  However,
once this was done and compiled, the Ethernet began working much
better.  I have not been able so far to make it fail, even more than two
dozen or more cold and warm resets.  Previous failure rate was at least
during 50% of resets, so it is at a minimum much more stable on startup.

Much thanks!

- Michael

Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Hi Michael:
>
> Sorry, I posted this to the list I received your message from
> (netdev@...r.kernel.org).  I don't believe it's been applied by anyone
> as of yet.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Grollman wrote:
>
>> Mario,
>>
>> Apologies in advance for my ignorance.
>>
>> When you write below about  'the patch' and 'the list,' can you be a
>> bit more specific, particularly about which list you posted it to?
>>
>> Also, I think Kasper's question below related to, was the patch you
>> used to fix your 8169 issues now part of  rc9, or is it still
>> independent of the main tree?  For those like me not used to be
>> bleeding edge, its cleaner to just snag the rc candidate than to try
>> the hand patch method.
>>
>> Any insight you can offer is appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> - Michael
>>
>> Mario Limonciello wrote:
>>
>>> Kasper:
>>>
>>> Particularly try the patch that I posted to the list.  It solved the
>>> ifup (and resume) failures for me on two platforms using that chipset.
>>>
>>> Regards

Michael Grollman
National Scientific Corporation
8361 East Evans Rd Ste 106