Date:	Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:38:23 -0700
From:	"Shaun Jackman" <sjackman@...il.com>
To:	"Max Krasnyansky" <maxk@...lcomm.com>
Cc:	"Brian Braunstein" <linuxkernel@...style.com>,
	"Christian Borntraeger" <borntraeger@...ibm.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: Multicast and receive filtering in TUN/TAP

Hi Max,

The original patch implemented receive multicast filtering by
emulating the implementation used by many physical Ethernet
interfaces: hashing the multicast address. TUN emulates two network
cards (and communication via the virtual link between them), the guest
and the host, or the character device and the network device, so there
are two receive filters: chr_filter and net_filter. I implemented the
filtering at the character device using chr_filter in tun_chr_readv,
and left filtering at the network device for someone else to
implement.

I'm not sure what you mean by TX filtering. Multicast filtering is
implemented uniquely at the receiver. There are, however, two
receivers: the character device and the network device.

I believe Brian's patch was mistaken. Two entirely distinct Ethernet
addresses are required: one for the character device and one for the
network device, or put another way, one for the virtual Ethernet
interface at the guest and one for the virtual Ethernet interface at
the host. For the same reason, there are two distinct multicast
filters.

Looking over the original patch, I believe I see a bug in tun_net_mclist:
memset(tun->chr_filter, 0, sizeof tun->chr_filter);
should be
memset(tun->net_filter, 0, sizeof tun->net_filter);

Cheers,
Shaun