Date:	Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:49:24 +0300
From:	Octavian Purdila <opurdila@...acom.com>
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [rfc] new sk_buff member: hwstamp

On Monday 14 July 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:

> You only need this between the driver and the socket recvmsg(), don't you?

Correct.

> One possible alternative (I admit I haven't thought all the implications
> through) would be to use a second magic internal skb for this which has the
> same UDP header, but as only payload the time stamp. Disadvantage would
> be the requirement to do header parsing in the driver, but often
> hardware does that already.

Hmm, this sounds interesting.

Maybe only keep the timestamp without the UDP header and queue the skb
as "ancillary" data?

And we can probably do this in a generic way for all sort of socket types
(PF_PACKET comes to mind) - just add a special ancillary data queue in the
socket. Sure this would mean stuffing the sockets structures - not very
different from adding new stuff in skb :), but I feel it is a bit more
generic: an easy to extend channel of communication between drivers/hw and
userspace without future structures overhead.

And I think this will help with solving the hw TX stamp problem I am looking
into, as well (how to send the hw generated TX stamp to application).

Thanks,
tavi