Date:	Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:58:14 +0200 (MEST)
From:	"martin capitanio" <martin@...itanio.org>
To:	"Francois Romieu" <romieu@...zoreil.com>
Cc:	"Mario Limonciello" <Mario_Limonciello@...l.com>,
	"Edward Hsu" <edward_hsu@...ltek.com.tw>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch inside] kernel crash, RTL8101E [10ec:8136]

> [...]
> > The pci entry just confuse people, the correct message were something
> like
> > Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL81xxx Ethernet controller
>
> 10ec:8136 covers the 8101 and the 8102, as expected.
Then RTL8101(E)/8102(E) ?
I get here RTL8101E but the real hardware is RTL8102E
The website claims RTL8139  and what ever. If that's not the case ...

> > Everything depending on this information may break, right?
> > drivers/net/r8169.c:166:{
> PCI_DEVICE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_REALTEK,0x8136),0,0,RTL_CFG_2 },
>
> I do not get it. Where do you see a breakage ?
Sorry misunderstanding. See above.

> [...]
> > Checking the web for the differences btw RTL8102E and RTL8101E:
> > the RTL8102E claims to support receive-side scaling, is this implemented
> > somewhere in linux (aka NAPI?) ?
>
> 1. RSS is available with Linux.
> 2. RSS is not related in any way or shape with NAPI.
> 3. RSS is not implemented in Realtek's driver yet.
Thanks. I found it.

> > Can miss-detecting have a bad side-effects?
>
> Some users have been turned into giant walking mushrooms.
I meant RTL8101E/RTL8102E have the same pci id but different features.

> Not sure if they were comestible or not though.
If you kill their hardware, be sure they were not ;-)

> > RTL8102E offers an option for non-EEPROM (=OTP) design. Can the driver
> > break the hardware ?
>
> The driver is not supposed to break the hardware.
True, just that you know about that possibility. (_One Time Programming_)
> What does ethtool report for this device ? Does it still claim gigabit
> to be supported ?
Works correct,  as expected 10/100M.

Nice to know somebody cares! (Rest in pm)
Thanks for your work,
        Martin